Friday, June 1, 2012

Yogini

I think I might be a yogini.  I have been doing hot yoga for a little bit now and I found that I have a natural talent.  I never thought of myself as a flexible person, but what I've realized is that I am quite flexible except for a few poses.  I got a little boost of confidence yesterday though.  After class I was asking the instructor some questions about the poses and he said that I was very good and have beautiful floor practice.  It felt awesome to hear that.

Now how did all this come about???  Let me tell you ......

After my last excruciating "back episode" I went to the doctor for some suggestions.  He said that unfortunately despite the fact that I am young and I am healthy my back just isn't strong enough to keep up with all of the things I ask it to do.

I have been extra diligent in focusing my exercise on my lower back and core muscles.  My doctor said that yoga would be the best thing for my back and to try and fit it in 3 times a week.  As all of you other mommies know, that is harder than it sounds.  I like my kids and want to spend time with them so the idea of leaving them that much through the week made me sad.  There is always night time for me but there are plenty of other things I would rather do.

My Solution
I got a yoga DVD and then I go out and do hot yoga as I am able (I try for once a week).  Let me tell you I think it might be working.  Knock on wood my back is feeling stronger and there are times that the constant sciatic pain dulls.

I hope this works, because I'm actually enjoying myself.  I may even be hoping a little that I get strong enough to run again.  Ok, its a BIG hope!!!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope it works also so that you can run again :)

Ang said...

Where have you been going to Hot Yoga? I just started going to Soul. I love it so much!! We should try and hit a class together sometime!

Kira said...

I usually go to Bikram, but Ive worked out at Breathe too and can't wait for the McKenzie location to open. Where is Soul? Lets do a class!

Peter and Mandy said...

One of my co-workers does hot yoga and she loves it. She's gotten a few other co-workers to join her. I think I'd rather try with a dvd first. I went to a workshop once and was seriously the only person that couldn't balance in just about any pose...and I can still tie myself in a knot...go figure.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

SO I enjoy yoga but the one thing that keeps from really enjoying it is that it hurts my wrists SO much. I have very weak tiny wrists, and I know you have tiny wrists too, so I was wondering if that happens to you or not? Is it just something i have to work through, and building up my muscles there or what?!

Fred ... said...

What on earth is "hot" yoga? Is normal yoga "cold" yoga? I want to see you fold your legs up all funky like they do.

Kira said...

There are modifications you can do for the wrist pain. It hurts me too. Also there are forms of yoga that don't put much pressure on your wrists. Find a Bikram class and your not on your wrists at all.

Dad, hot yoga is done in a room that is a humid 98-104' F. :-)

motherofangels said...

Love yoga!