Sunday, July 6, 2008

YEAH!!!!

Today I made a breakthrough, and I am so thrilled I have to share it with everyone. I met people today and they are really nice. For the week and a little bit that we have been here we have been going in and out of our garage. Last night I found a flyer on our door that said there would be a block party tonight. I figured that if I am ever going to meet my neighbors/ potential friends this would definitely be the place to do it. So at 4:00 I packed myself, Evan, and the hot dogs we were donating (Justin was working [sad]) and headed over to the music.

At first I felt very awkward, but I put on my brave face and just walked up to different groups and said "Hi, I'm Kira. We just moved into our home 2 days ago. We are the ones with the semi-trailer in our front yard. What's your name?" My method seemed to work, as I made some friends and met our future babysitter. There were TONS of kids and most of them were boys! Ever since we bought this house we have felt inspired that it was the right place for us to live, and those feelings are still here.

As a side note, I think I know what caused my rash. The day we packed up the moving truck in Florida I got bit by something I didn't recognize. The bite did all sorts of funky stuff, and my finger would randomly puff up like a sausage. The severe itching, and pain is mostly gone (unless I touch it), but I still have the bite two weeks later. A couple days ago I was watching the news about ticks and a woman was describing her bite and a rash she got. I went on line, and I think my rash was a reaction to the tick bite. After looking at the pictures of ticks I know that is what bit me. When I had the rash (thankfully it is gone now) I tried to get a picture, but none of them really showed the rash for what it was. On google I looked up "rash after tick bite" and my rash looked exactly like the images that came up. I've included one for your enjoyment. Now, just picture this convering my chest, back, arms, and FACE. I am not lying. I was COVERED!! Lovely picture isn't it? NOT!!!

11 comments:

Claudia said...

Wow Kira, it seems that Florida tried everything it could to stop you from leaving. Your car totaled, tick bites - all in the same month when you are about to leave. I think you need to come back:)

Melanie said...

Hey, you might want to do some follow up on the tick bite thing, now that you have figured it out--there can be further reactions to ticks.

Teresa said...

You're a social little butterfly, and I hope you have great time in your new neighborhood. Sorry to hear about the strange rash...seems like the timing couldn't have been better (j/k :).

Fred ... said...

I'll bet if feels real good to be in your own home. I'm looking forward to lots of pictures of the new home, neighbourhood and lake. Did you notice that I spelled neighbourhood the Canadian way in your honour? Did you notice that I spelled honour the Canadian way also? What did the doctor say about your "Lime's" disease?

Peter and Mandy said...

That rash looks awful. Hey aren't you supposed to burn ticks off of you? Do you know where the tick is? Glad you're meeting people.

The Meyers said...

Good job Kira! Hope you are liking Calgary :-)

Lisa said...

I'm glad you went to the block party! Do you remember when we moved here I would pile you guys in the car an we would go and look up addresses of the ward members etc. and look for every opportunity to meet people? It didn't take long to make friends and feel more at home. Glad your rash is feeling better. Have fun unpacking.

Da Costa said...

Sweet! I'm so glad you went to the block party. I bet in just a couple of weeks, you'll be having people over and partying every night! :0) You won't even remember me and Wally! :0) I'm so happy things are going well! Miss you guys tons!

Kira said...

How could I forget you Irene!! Just the other day I went running with a group and they complimented my butt. I told them all about yours, and how beautiful it is.
:-) True story! (they were mormon women, if anyone was wondering)

Linz said...

Way to go, Kira! All of those neighbors will be lucky to have you guys as friends. Gross rash...glad it is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

ew! is all i have to say oh btw i have a blog now!