Monday, February 6, 2012

a near perfect day

Dear Skin, 
I know you may be confused as it is early February but yes this is the sun.  Yes don't be confused you are still in Calgary and no you won't freeze off today.  Glad you are enjoying it and you're welcome for the vitamin D!



I swear to you, if every winter was like this one I would not complain very much.  Saturday we had a near perfect day!!!  The weather was quite lovely!  It was in the high 40's but the ice was still safe.  Justin's family came over and after some of us ate lunch we all went out on our lake to skate.  We had a family hockey game, IN SWEATSHIRTS!  I was even wearing a sweatshirt, which should tell you something about how it felt.  Evan and I played goalie and we even managed to block some shots :-)  I wish I had the "good" pics but I can't take the pictures when I am helping to manage the boys.  Chelsea got a great action shot of Evan and I defending our goal, so when I get that maybe I'll upload it.  

After skating for a while we all headed into the hot tub and enjoyed the sun!  I was thoroughly content!!  


(this is normally what we are dressed like when we venture to the great outdoors!)

We decided since it was Evan's first day feeling well from his "sick" week that we would take full advantage of it.  The plan was to take the boys to a fun dinner and then to a movie.  We made it to dinner, where Evan's fever came back and he stopped eating completely.  The problem is that he hadn't really eaten a ton the whole week and he is so small that it really is a HUGE problem to be scared of.  We called it a night and by the time we got home Evan was not doing well at all.  I was nervous and then he threw up, which made me really paranoid.  

People living with SMA aren't supposed to go more than 6 hours without eating and Evan now had NOTHING in his stomach.  I decided that I would be sleeping in his room with him.  I made some phone calls for some emotional support and guidance, checked his skin to make sure he wasn't dehydrated and spent the night helping him cough and making him drink.  

He woke up a little better but not well enough to go to church.  I am starting to feel some stuff in my chest and I can't afford to get sick this week.  So I sent my other two boys to get Evan some antibiotics and they dropped it off and went off to church.  Evan and I took a nap together and slept from 1:40-5:00.  I can't remember the last time I napped that long ... it was exactly what I needed!!!!  Evan woke up WAY better and I felt like it might be safe to take him to the in-laws to watch the rest of the really amazing Super Bowl game.  

this is pretty much what sick days/weeks look like for us.

 On another note, my orchid bloomed again!!!  I just think it is gorgeous and I can't wait for the other buds to bloom!  It is going to look amazing!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad he's feeling better and you both had a great nap. I hope he doesn't get sick like that when I am there.

Peter and Mandy said...

What a nice day for February. Sounds like you both really needed that nap.

Fred ... said...

It looks like it was a fun day skating and soaking up the sun. I'm also glad that Evan's bout with the virus is over.