Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cusco ... (uh huh uh huh uh huh uh huh uh huh)

The title is for all of my 409ers!!!! (anyone who isn't a 409er, your won't understand ... Sorry :-) What a day, what a day!!!! I almost don't even know where to start. After going to bed too late we woke up too early to return to the Lima airport. We hopped onto a small plane and flew an hour Southeast to cusco. (I can't help to think of my college years while I'm am here. One of us owned the emperors new groove and jenn even learned to master the Lammas dance). That movie makes a lot of sense now that I know a bit more of the history. Of course there where no evil old hags changing kings into Lammas ( or so I think) but Cusco was the naval of the Incan nation. Everything revolved around cusco and it was a city for the kings. I was caught off guard with how immediately the altitude affected me. I am taking altitude sickness meds which will hopefully be more effective when I wake up in the morning. The traditional coca tea actually helps me a lot. As a group we did an all day walking tour and learned so much history about the area, while seeing the sights ... Amazing! I had no idea what to expect from cusco and I was blown away ... I loved it!!! After our walking tour we did a bit of driving to see "sexy woman" (which isn't what the temple is actually called but how it sounds and I can't spell it So you get what you get with our poor Internet connection). The people who occupy the mountains today follow the Incan tradition of building their fields on the slopes of the lush mountain side. Every day they hike up the mountains to harvest their crops. I think that is amazing! Visited 2 traditional markets (which is one of my favorite things to do ... Period. Our hotel is quite lovely (nicer than we all expected) and I am so beat tonight!!! I packed for any weather but was expecting cold and rainy.what we got today was a blessing from god!!!! It was hotq and sunny the entire time! I had shorts which I changed into but did not have sun screen. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me but the combination of the wicked high altitude and the altitude medication I got FRIED!!! The best part is that I was wearing a bandana and didn't realize that it was not off my forehead in all of that sun. I now have a very distinct line across my forehead. I was getting changed into pj's and Justin sarcastically says "I can't tell which parts of your body were exposed to the sun ... Oh wait ... There they are!!! Then he couldn't stop laughing. In addition to me becoming a zebra my stomach has decided to punish me. I'm pretty sure it is till just altitude sickness mixed with sun exposure but I'm not going to complain about it too much. I'll take being a zebra with an upset tummy any day if it means I get to experience the things I've gotten to do so far, and have a surprise sun day!!! And to top off the whole day?! I got to see my boys on FaceTime tonight :-) Tomorrow it is off to work.

4 comments:

Fred ... said...

Hopefully your body will adjust to the altitude quickly. Normally I think it only takes a day. How high are you? I hope you're taking lots of pictures. I expect you to post a bunch once you get home.

Tessa @ Lighting the World on Fire said...

I LOVE local markets. I ate my first bug in a local market in Thailand this summer. or maybe it was Malaysia. Anyway, I hope the sunburn isn't too painful and more importantly, that the trip continues to exceed your expectations!

merrilykaroly said...

I've been to Sacsayhuaman before! We watched the locals sacrifice a llama in a crazy ritual for a holiday there once. We never knew for sure if they actually killed the llama or just pretended to (so as not to offend the animal rights activists). It is so beautiful there. I served in Cusco for six months and am just imagining all the things you must be seeing! I never got to visit Machu Picchu though. Hopefully you will!

Lisa said...

So happy you are having this experience :) I'm excited to see pictures and to hear about your experiences working with the locals.