Thursday, March 22, 2012

Urubamba: day 3

Today I am feeling like I have a bit more energy tonight. Today I was doing oral hygiene information again but the day was such that I really kindle hopped around doing lots of jobs. I assisted two other dentists, held hands, and held one of the cutest children I've ever seen! (this one had a diaper and was clean). It was so sad to go into the grade one class. They were extremely enthusiastic about learning, but their mouths were unreal! I wanted to cry! I don't think that any of them have ever brushed. I'm not exaggerating either. Our group doesn't have the time to do fillings on baby teeth, or milk teeth as they call them, so we leave them since they will fall out anyway. We can't do too many extractions either because it can affect how the adult teeth come in if you pull them too early. If the child needs a filling on an adult tooth, or they are feeling pain in their baby teeth then we can do the work. These little 6 year olds had such bad teeth that we couldn't do anything about, I just wanted to cry! Putting the fluoride in their mouth I was really hard, half because I wanted to cry and half because I wanted to barf (the smell was horrendous). Today I was able to spot the wild alpacas on the mountain by myself. Justin was in triage today while I was helping out in the area and I have to say that I think hearing him speak to the locals in Spanish is so sexy! This probably isn't surprising but there is one little stray dog that I really want to bring home with me. He has been there all week and I am so in love with him. The locals were laughing at me while I took a picture of this little stray. Tonight we had a very cool experience. There is an American woman who lives here in urubamba who helps our group. She had us over to her adobe and rock house for appetizers. Her house and property were amazing. She lives across the street from a world famous ceramist. Pablo started working as a street artist in peru and now his work is even in the smithsonian. Justin and I bought some beautiful pieces and some traditional Peruvian pieces. The ceramist also has a pet monkey that I got to pet. This monkey only wanted to be loved. If I ever stopped petting this sweet little monkey he would rub up on the bars begging for more. At one point he even lifted his arm so I could scratch in his armpit. Dinner was a traditional Peruvian meal, and yes .... I ate a guine pig! it was alright. It didn't taste bad, it just had a lot of little bones in it. All in all it was another great day! Memorable experiences: getting two kisses on the cheek from little girls, thanking us for coming. Things I'm really grateful: my children. I miss Evan and Landon so much! I didn't get to talk to them last night and I had a nightmare! I didn't get to talk to them today either :-( our schedule has just been crazy and we aren't near any Internet when they are awake. Mom, how're you holding up?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Another great day. The boys are fine and doing very well :) I'm doing well also :) No worries. Although, I think I'm going to nickname Landon the 'destroying angel'

Fred ... said...

What a great experience you're having. Did you know that the Guinea Pig and the Alpaca are the only two animals in all of North and South America that could be domesticated? Not very fair when you think that Europe got about a dozen domesticatable animals such as the cow, horse, pig, sheep, donkey etc.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Love that you are updating it while you are there! Very cool experience :)

Spencer and Melissa said...

Wow!! I love hearing about your experience! It is very interesting and I love that you at a guinea pig! :-) what amazing work you are doing! xxoo