Thursday, February 12, 2009

Give her a break


I just watched my recording of the Dateline interview with Nadya (mother of the California octuplets). Before watching the interview I had fairly negative views towards her choices, but I had never actually read her story before. After watching the interview I feel like she has unjustly been thrown under the bus.

She seems to be a very educated woman, who weighed the consequences to her choices. She knew the possible outcome of implanting 6 embryos, but why would she even think that all of them would take when based on her past pregnancies. Every other time she did the IVF procedure she implanted 6 and never carried more than 2.

Also there was so much criticism about her living off of student loans right now. I don't know of very many adults with children going to school that don't live off of their student loans. (Isn't that why they exist?) She is trying very hard to make ends meet on her own, and has a plan.

She seems like a truly devoted mother. Her children are healthy and thriving in society. I really don't agree with some of her choices, but she did not just jump into the life she had. She thought it through, and made plans. If this is the life she wants ... why do the rest of us care so much?

4 comments:

Lacy said...

Very interesting insight Kira. I should take a closer look at this story.

Lynn said...

AMEN Kira! I read an article about her in the paper and was SO surprised at how the public cared SO much about how many children she should have. Like they thought they had a right to tell her how many she is allowed to have. I missed that TV interview, and now wished I had seen it. I stand behind ANY woman that works THAT hard to be educated, while RAISING her children the best way she can. RAISING children. Not throwing them away. Not neglecting them. Not abusing them. Not even giving them a chance at life. But RAISING them! Beautifully and LOVINGLY! She LOVES them! That is the key.

Jlowryjr said...

I think (your admirable charity aside) that this woman brought the scrutiny on herself. I don't know enough about her or her family to say that she is responsible or that her kids are healthy or the home well-maintained. I do know she hired a publicist and seems to love the attention. Kudos to her for keeping all the children, she can't have it both ways.

Melanie said...

Every time I hear about this story I keep thinking it is none of our business. It's a very personal thing-- I haven't liked the way it has been presented and talked about.