Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Good Day!!

Alright, so Justin told me that I should write a blog about my Bells Palsy, but I didn't because it was hard for me to sit and talk/write about it.  About 2 weeks ago I sat down to practice my oboe and half of my face would not grip the instrument.  The long and short of it is that I spent the day in the E.R. crying and totally freaking out the doctors.  They diagnosed me with Bells Palsy, which is a temporary weakening/paralysis of one half of your face.   Since then I have come to terms with it and tried my very hardest to relax so that I can get better.  That brings me to the good news ... I played my oboe for 20 minutes today!!!  Now 20 minutes is nothing to sniff at under normal circumstances, but when dealing with facial paralysis it is GREAT news.  I am so glad that I listened to my body and started the medicine when I did.  I really believe that is the reason that I didn't get worse and the reason that I have improved so quickly.  I had to share my good news!!   

9 comments:

lori lester said...

yay!!!

Michelle Knight said...

That's great that you were able to do that! You poor thing! I hope you get better soon.

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing...tough stuff when you body wont do what you want it to. You are smiling great in the beach pictures so you really must be getting better--what a relief. Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

Eric said...

20 minutes is a good week for me! Imagine how much longer your reeds will last by practicing less!

Lisa said...

I was thrilled when I called and you told me the good news. We've been so worried and have been praying lots! Everyone I've told has been concerned to and have told me to tell you they've been praying and keeping you in their thoughts also. We are all praying you continue to heal quickly. I was also told to tell you that Amelia challenged the 1st chair in the top symphony at Notre Dame and got it. She's the only freshman!

Lisa said...

For those of you reading my other post Kira taught oboe lessons when she was a high school student to middle school students. Amelia was one of her students and her mom is always keeping me abreast of Amelia's latest musical accomplishments so that I can pass them on to Kira.

Natalie said...

I'm so glad things worked out the way they did. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Loves! Thanks for the Twilight movie clips. I'm obsessed!

Teresa said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Bells Palsy..keep up the great improvement :).

Sarah said...

That's such good news. I hope it clears up soon. My friends husband just went through that. But it all cleared up and he's back to normal now.