Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Why I work out

I love to exercise, but as my friends in Florida can attest this was not always the case. Shortly after I graduated from my masters program I had a revelation that I was skinny, but not healthy. I decided that I really wanted to be healthy. I started small. First I just ate less (3 pieces of pizza instead of 5) and since I had a full size track in my backyard (literally) I would run 1 mile 3 days a week. Slowly I started eat healthier and began to up my mileage. 6 months later I didn't hate running anymore. 6 months after that I really enjoyed running.

Now I enjoy working out in a gym as well (still prefer to be outside, but I live in Canada). I exercise so that I can be healthy for Justin, Evan, and Landon. I want to be around to take care of them and that means taking care of me. I want to have enough energy to play with my kids. I want them to have a good example to look to of proper eating and exercising. Once Evan was diagnosed with SMA I had an extra incentive. I need to be strong enough to carry him around, I need to be strong enough to carry his equipment around. He may be small, but he will grow and so will his equipment.

I don't exercise to look good, but it is definitely a bonus result of working out and constant heavy lifting at home (Evan and his stuff). I can now say that I am a physically strong person, it is kind of cool!

Thank you Evan for my new back, shoulders, and arms!

6 comments:

Michelle Knight said...

Wow!! I am impressed!

Dorienne said...

WOW! Look at those strong "Madonna" arms. Love it.

Christy said...

WOW Kira! Remind me not to arm wrestle with you!

Alicia said...

Holy Cow... You have some serious guns girl! Wow!!!! Hot bod sista! Loved the post!

Linz said...

So buff!!

merrilykaroly said...

Wow, is that really your arm?? You are bu-uufff.